Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Calling All Voice Teachers

1. How did you decide to start teaching voice? I think it was just the logical thing to do. I have always been a glutton for education. Being a Lyric Baritone, I knew that my life was limited. So, I surrounded myself with the great teachers.
2. What is your favorite part about being a voice teacher? I love the excitement of teaching great repertoire and "explaining it" to the students.
3. What is your least favorite part about being a voice teacher? Scheduling. I either talk too much or I don't want the lesson to end.
4. What has been your greatest joy as a voice teacher? Seeing my students on the stage, either Concert or Opera.
5. What has been your greatest disappointment as a voice teacher? When a student who has extraordinary talent and does not listen to constructive, realistic, informative, instruction.
6. Please share anything else about being a voice teacher you feelothers might find valuable. A Voice Teacher, after your first Voice Teacher, has two years of information to give to the student. Yes, I have had students who have studied with me for 16, 17, 18, years, but they just didn't know, I taught them everything in the first two years. Get as many educational experiences as you can afford, or beg, or barter, or whatever. I sang for free to be with some great Conductors, who really were Voice Teachers. I am amazed when I review my career or even look at my website (www.marcinnes.com). No wonder, I am always broke. My experiences with Eleanor Steber, who taught me how to teach, and Robert Gay, who taught me Opera, were Gold.

No comments: